Defeating Discouragement—31 Encouraging Reminders
“Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success.” Dale Carnegie
10 second summary: Feeling discouraged? If so, read the reminders below to help recharge your batteries and keep moving forward. Not discouraged today? That’s great news! Read the tips below anyway, and find someone else to encourage. Choose one verse or reminder that stands out to you and focus on it—may it be today’s mantra for success.
If you’re a busy, successful woman (and I KNOW that you are) then I’m willing to bet there are days and times you feel discouraged. There are those days where no matter how good or bad things are life just seems overwhelming. We second-guess ourselves, and the worry and guilt starts flowing.
Sometimes being physically tired and run down plays a part. Other times it’s our wacky hormones getting the better of us. And sometimes it’s true overwhelm from all that comes our way. We know we can’t be all things to all people, but we try anyway and don’t measure up to our own standards of success. It’s easy to focus on what’s still on our to-do list, un-done, and forget about just how far we’ve come.
So for the next 10 minutes, let’s take a break and relax. Refocus, re-center ourselves with reminders from God’s word and smart men and women who have overcome discouragement and found victory.
As you read, find one verse or quote that stands out to you. Write it down and carry it with you today—maybe in your pocket or purse—to remind you that with God’s strength you can do all things. (Many thanks to KeepInspiring.Me for their collection of some of the quotes below in their Encouraging Quotes article.)
31 encouraging reminders
- “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
- “Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged people who kept on working.” Quotling.com
- “My flesh and my heat may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds.” Psalm 73:26, 28
- “In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity.” Albert Einstein
- “Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.” Psalm 37:4
- “A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.” Unknown
- “I am sure of this, that He who started a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” Philippians 1:6
- “Everyone has inside them a piece of good news. The good news is you don’t know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is.” Anne Frank
- “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:13
- “It is time for us all to stand and cheer for the doer, the achiever—the one who recognizes the challenges and does something about it.” Vince Lombardi
- “Think of him who endured such opposition against himself by sinners, so that you may not grow weary in your souls and give up.” Hebrews 12:3
- “Often we women are risk averse. I needed the push. Now, more than ever, young women need more seasoned women to provide that encouragement, to take a risk, to go for it. Once a glass ceiling is broken, it stays broken.” Jennifer Grahnolm
- “But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.” Hebrews 3:13
- “Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” Helen Keller
- “Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.” James 5:16
16. “When you get to your wits end, you will find God lives there.” Unknown
17. “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” 2 Timothy 1:7
18. “When written in Chinese the word “crisis” is composed of two characters—one represents danger and the other represents opportunity.” John F. Kennedy
- “The Lord is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?” Psalm 27:1
- “There is in every true woman’s heart a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity; but which kindles up, and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity.” Washington Irving
- “Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.” Psalm 31:14
- “What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly.” Richard Bach
- “The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles.” Psalm 34:17
- “If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance or you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call “failure” is not the falling down, but the staying down.” Mary Pickford
- “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.” Psalm 46:1-3
- “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.” Henry Thoreau
- “Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it.” Charles Swindoll
- “I waited patiently for the Lord, he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the Lord and put their trust in him.” Psalm 40:1-3
- “When life knocks you down, try to land on your back. Because if you can look up, you can get up.” Les Brown
- “I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” Psalm 27:13-14
Last but not least, see quote at the beginning of today’s article…
- “Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success.” Dale Carnegie
So for those “discouragement days,” or one each per day to encourage us through any month, let’s enjoy these 31 simple reminders that God loves us, He’s given us the strength we need, and He’s given us a sense of humor to help see us through, too! See photos above for a bit of humor… I’ve never had tape stuck in my hair (though I had gum in there once) and it looks painful and frustrating! Eeek!
Ladies, what words or reminders encourage you, or help boost you out of the discouragement doldrums? Please share with me in the comments below or via email. I’d love to hear from you.